In recent years, with the development of medical technology and clinical requirements, high-frequency electrosurgical units have been widely applied in surgical operations, but incidents of electrocautery burns occasionally occur. According to the statistics of the National Center for ADR Monitoring, China, nearly 70% of the suspicious medical events of the high-frequency electrosurgical unit from 2002 to 2011 were caused by the displacement and ageing of the grounding pad.
Patient Return Plate
As an important part of the high-frequency electrosurgical unit, the patient return plate disperses the electric current that the active electrode contacts with the human body and returns it to the high-frequency electrosurgical unit to form a complete ESU current circuit.
Larger the contact area between the grounding pad and the human body is, lower the current density flowing between the two, weaker the thermal effect, safer the patient.
Conversely, the stronger the thermal effect, the higher the temperature rise of the plate, and the greater the possibility of the patient being burned.
Heal Force high-frequency electrosurgical units all provide a plate contact area indicator window, which visually displays the change of the contact surface between the plate and the human body in real time, eliminating risks in time and preventing plate burns.
When the signal light is reduced to 2 bars, the alarm will be triggered to cut off the output.
EB05 Electrosurgical Generator & Argon Unit
EB05 high-frequency electrosurgical generator can be linked with an argon device to perform APC surgery to meet the needs of general surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, open surgery, and rapid large-scale hemostasis under digestive endoscopy.
Floating output; equipped with instant fault alarm, the generator will immediately cut off the output when the contact area of the electrode plate drops to a dangerous level, making the clinic more secure.
Features and Performance of EB05
- Adaptive Tissue Technology: No restrictions of tissue characteristics, electrode selection, and cutting amplitude factors ensures constant cutting quality.
- 9-channel Program Memory: Up to 9-channel setting memory for quick response to routine surgery.
- Automatic Memory of Preset Power and Mode: The device is automatically set to the mode and power of the last operation when it is turned on, without resetting.
- Two-Channel Output of Coagulation: Convenient for hemostasis needs of emergency traumatic surgery and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Type CF Low-Frequency Electric Current Isolation: All Floating, IEC60601-1 & IEC60601-2-2 internationally certified.
- Safety System: The audible and visual alarm will be triggered if accessory connection error, operation error, host failure occur when operating. Automatic energy monitoring can monitor high-frequency leakage to prevent personal burns caused by leakage.
Electrocautery burns are a common accident in electrosurgical surgery. The user must master the correct plate placement to prevent accidents.
Precautionary Tips for Electrocautery Burns
A. The patient return plate should be placed in a suitable location
The plate should be as close to the surgical site as possible, which will effectively reduce the high-frequency current passing area and lower the possibility of non-plate burns caused by multi-point grounding.
At the same time, the electrode plate should be placed in a clean, dry, muscle-rich place without bone protruding (non-fat). Muscle has lower impedance and better conductivity than fat. The faster the current flows back to the electrosurgical generator, the safer it will be.
B. Do not use the dispersive plate multiple times
Repeated use will cause the plate glue to fall off, reduce adhesion, and easily cause burning accidents.
C. Real-time attention to changes in the contact area between the grounding pad and the human body.
Prevent burns due to too small contact area of the plate
D. It is recommended to use split pad.
The split pad effectively monitors whether the negative electrode is in contact with the skin, with better safety compared to the solid pad.